Midwestern Council Community Forums  

Go Back   Midwestern Council Community Forums > General Discussion > Auto-X Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisp View Post
As a newbie, I prefer the two practice sessions over the four and so does my friend who turned me onto this who has already been involved with MC. My only concern is rain. I know enough not to go out and be a knucklehead if it's raining, but if it does rain in the morning after one timed one, then what is the point of the afternoon?

In other words holding off the timed runs until after lunch, even if it rains in the morning, keeps it competitive for the rest of the day.
So, it appears that based on limited feedback, we have newbies that like the new format and some that don't. ....

Rain always jacks up our day.... Thats when you HOPE that you get at least one clean dry run. For those of us running for the entire series for the class championship, we have to run rain or shine. You do get to drop one event, but that is the gamble you have to take. Its too early in the season for me to give up an event. That being said, this is why when we do timed runs, that we call cars by class and not based off of time. We try to keep it fair concerning the weather conditions.....

I will be curious to see how many extra timed runs we get by skipping a practice session. There have been lots of events where there were only 3 practice sessions, if we drop one and pick up two timed runs, we are really only missing one lap. What newbies really need to practice is how to come into #1 with cold tires and run their one timed lap. After all, that is what the competition is based on. There is a big difference between comming into 1 on a hot lap vs on cold tires and brakes.
2000 Z28 #00 AM
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 AM Class champ- Blue Camaro
2006 & 2007 AR Class champ - Silver Camaro
HSAX Instructor
Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 AM

Sorry I haven't been paying attention to this thread.

Speedbuggy - HSAX events are not lapping days. If you want a lot of track time a lapping day is a no brainer.

I can't believe you guys are worried about the rain. And trusting a pinpoint forecast 2 days out. ?????

Another thing about the two practice sessions. It really isn't that big of a change. If 100+ competitors show up we will only get two practice sessions anyways just like in the old days.

As far as rookies only getting two practice sessions. Back in the day the rookies did just fine with two. Again we got to stop treating autocrossers like children. Besides the rookies hopefully will take advantage of the new station wagon runs before the event begins.

I'm all about track time. I want to limit the practice sessions to two. Reason being is because we are so damn inefficient at getting the cars on track during the practice sessions. A lot of wasted track time which makes me angry.

The timed runs may not start at 10am. That is a really rough estimate. We are limiting the practice sessions to two. We may still not start timed runs until 1pm. Depends on how things go on Saturday and how many people show up.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM

I do lapping days also when I can swing the budget for it. I like running MC because an autox day was half track day half timed runs and it cost roughly $100 to $150 less than a pure track day. I got the best of both worlds, now if practice is cut in half that won't be the case. I we continue with this past this weekend I think we will have shot ourselves in the foot. Cutting track time because we suck at getting cars out on track seems backwards to me, instead let's improve how we get cars on track seems the better solution. If something needs to change to do so fine, but it shouldn't be done in a way that costs us time on the track.
Red Ion Redline
Bullfighting, Boxing & Motorsports are the only real sports, everything else is just a game.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM

I see both sides of the coin, but personally I go to HSAX for the competition. If I just wanted track time I would do HPDE. Lots of times I wont even stay out for a whole practice session because it just eats my brakes and tires. I still want some practice time since it does get you warmed up for timed laps, but I think 2 sessions is more than enough.

#90 Black - CP - BMW 325IS
2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
HSAX Instructor
Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM

My main point was simply to give some feedback from the nonmember guys that I spoke to that said they didn't want to attend if practice was shortened. I was simply trying to give some feedback. I did toss in my two cents also but like I said before I'm willing to give it a shot and see how it goes. Since this is being done as a trial we'll all get of offer input afterwards and come to a conclusion.
Red Ion Redline
Bullfighting, Boxing & Motorsports are the only real sports, everything else is just a game.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
I see both sides of the coin, but personally I go to HSAX for the competition. If I just wanted track time I would do HPDE. Lots of times I wont even stay out for a whole practice session because it just eats my brakes and tires. I still want some practice time since it does get you warmed up for timed laps, but I think 2 sessions is more than enough.
I agree with you 100%! I will come in for sure after 3 laps. My A6's do not like to be pushed hard for more than that.
2000 Z28 #00 AM
HSAX Instructor
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Limiting the practice sessions to two will not cut the track time in half. We will lose a little track time, but not much.

You are paying for quality by yourself time at these events. A timed run you are alone and can concentrate on driving. You won't get a lot of track time, but you will be by yourself and will be getting timed.

I hear complaints about the practice sessions. People hold you up. The other cars in the group are way faster than me and it makes me nervous. Some run groups only have 5 cars in them. These are legitimate gripes.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Light Go View Post
Limiting the practice sessions to two will not cut the track time in half. We will lose a little track time, but not much.

You are paying for quality by yourself time at these events. A timed run you are alone and can concentrate on driving. You won't get a lot of track time, but you will be by yourself and will be getting timed.

I hear complaints about the practice sessions. People hold you up. The other cars in the group are way faster than me and it makes me nervous. Some run groups only have 5 cars in them. These are legitimate gripes.
Well the amount of track time lost has yet to be determined, but as i've said, it appears to nonmembers as a loose of track time so they based their choice not to attend on that.
As for running by yourself, that can be fixed by releasing cars with a bigger gap. That's not done in practice because we need as many cars out there as we can to stay on schedule. This brings me back to the idea of using gps transponders and running 20 min sessions all of which would be timed. That was talked about on the other thread so we'll just have to see if that idea goes anywhere.
Red Ion Redline
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbugy996 View Post
Well the amount of track time lost has yet to be determined, but as i've said, it appears to nonmembers as a loose of track time so they based their choice not to attend on that.
As for running by yourself, that can be fixed by releasing cars with a bigger gap. That's not done in practice because we need as many cars out there as we can to stay on schedule. This brings me back to the idea of using gps transponders and running 20 min sessions all of which would be timed. That was talked about on the other thread so we'll just have to see if that idea goes anywhere.
I don't see the 20 min timed sessions going anywhere with council. the likelyhood of getting a 100% clean lap is next to none. Especially if passing is only allowed on the straights. Now, if we can incorporate somehow letting people get a time during practice in ADDITION to the normal timed runs, then I say go for it. The single lap timed run is what makes us unique. It is what drew me to council in the first place. Timed laps with outher cars on the track is basically w2w with out somebody crossing the finishline determinig the winner...... But like you said, that is another thread.
2000 Z28 #00 AM
HSAX Instructor